Saturday, April 14, 2007

The elite

Irish writer, John Connolly was on Radio 1 this morning. When asked about other Irish crime writers, he recommended Ken Bruen. Bruen writes about, Jack Taylor, a disgraced cop (wow, that's new) based in Galway. As I'm moving to Galway soon, I said I'd check him out.

So, I read a quick preview of the first Jack Taylor novel, The Guards, on Bruen's website. And I cracked up at the following...

Jack Taylor's life is spiraling downward. Dumped from the Garda Siochana ("the Guards"), Ireland's elite police force, he now passes his days drinking in a friend's bar....

I love it - Ireland's elite police force. It put me in fear of good old Ken Bruen until I got hold of his book from the library and read the first couple of lines...

It's almost impossible to be thrown out of the Garda
Síochána. You have to really put your mind to it....

Now that's more like it.

No comments: